WHEN THET SPEAKS: Unbounded.Uncensored.Unsuppressed.No Rules.No Non-Sense.

 
About this blog
No Holds Barred: A compilation of rants, raves, movie and book reviews, R & R escapades, relationships, office workloads, and stories to ponder. For this year, this is also going to be our wedding blog. Updates and Review on Wedding Suppliers will posted here...Honeymoon experience and other escapades will also be posted.
The Face Behind this Blog

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Stay Connected

Blogroll Me!

Holler Me Back!!!


After college, what's next?
Monday, July 16, 2007

Today, I met with a prospect client in Makati. After that meeting, I went ahead to MRT-Ayala Station (CDR-King) to buy a new keyboard and headset when I bumped into an old friend. Since I know that some of my college and high school friends are reading this blog, I won't disclose whether this friend is from high school or college.

Anyway, it took me a while before I recognized her. When I finally realized that she was indeed an old friend, there goes the never ending chismisan. And then finally, she asked me if I could recommend her for any position in my current employer. I was really surprised to know that this girl is asking me for referral because I know that she's one heck of an intelligent lady. She was far more smart than I am. Anyway, as our conversation goes, she disclosed that she is having a had time looking for a job with a more desirable salary. She was complaining how "overwork-underpaid" she is. I told myself, "Huh? Ano? Ikaw? Hirap maghanap ng work with that salary range? Can you just please repeat what you said?"

I gave her my calling card and asked her to forward me her resume so that she can be interviewed by our HR department ASAP.

This friend reminded me of another friend, who in order to land a job, had to take some masteral units first (I know mejo weird ung school na tumatanggap ng masteral student--hindi pwede ang ganyan sa UPD-MBA Program--ayYy ayan, may clue ng sa business school sya galing).

As I was heading home, I had some time to reflect what I have accomplished in my 25 years of existence. Have I really reached what I wanted? Apparently, not. When I was small, I was really determined to take up Law. I wanted to be Ally McBeal. I did excellent during high school but when I entered college, I found myself "nangangamote" in Calculus. Exams on how to compute for derivatives and logarithms are really pain in the a$s. LOL Funny how I thought of those people who make it "BIG TIME", only to get disappointed.

I won't brag about how much I have accomplished since it wasn't that much (after all, kuntento naman ako sa kung anong meron ngayon). But financially? you don't wanna bet your pwet on that... LOL ahihihi... ganun talaga eh. Moreso, I would say that I would credit my pagiging madiskarte on that.

Another person who I thought of, as i am having my "moment" is Russell's mother. Sobrang madiskarte. She didn't even enter college. From sari-sari store, to paglalako ng isda gamit ang balde, to pagbili at pagbyahe ng tricyle, Russell's parents experienced those. But hey, they now own 2 gasoline stations (Caltex) in Cavite and a few appliance stores. They have also invested in some fish brokerage business.

AS I think of these things, I can't help but think that education is indeed VERY IMPORTANT. But I firmly believe that having a diploma alone will not give us the security that we're gonna succeed. Having a college degree is like entering a police academy and earning a license to own a gun. But knowing how to fire the gun especially when a situation asks for it is more important. Moreso, a college diploma will help us be more competitive in the labor market. BUT, it doesn't guarantee that we will land to a good job. How one climbs up the corporate ladder though performance and experience will matter more. Para rin yang sa business, it doesn't necessarily mean that if you have an MBA degree, you will be a successful businessman (Look at what happened to Northwest Airlines...sanmakmak na Phd and MA holders pero ligwak pa rin ang business.)


I know that I have some fellow bloggers who are still studying and I want to give you guys a sisterly advice: Study hard (i mean really hard). It will give you passport to be successful. However, don't rely solely on what you can achieve academically. As you study in the four corners of your classrooms, remember that after your 'campus days' there lies a BIGGER JUNGLE. Education together with DISKARTE SA BUHAY will make you live a better life. You are the pilot of your own flight. Be sure how to manage your plane when turbulence comes. (,")

Labels: ,

posted by ruther @ 6:15 AM  
9 Comments:
  • At 7/16/2007 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    thanks sa advise ate helen.. :-)

    anyway, tama sinabi mo, madiskarte ka dapat sa buhay and study hard.

    And syempre when you're out there, kanya kanya ng diskarte.. (parang paulit ulit ako no)...hehee

    anyway, naalala ko si Robert Kiyosaki. His 'other dad', his 'Rich Dad', didn't even study college, but he is one of the wealthiest sa Hawaii.. (just like Russell's mom siguro).. but the point still remains, education is just a leverage, a starting point.. dapat abilidad, street smart, diskarte!

    Amen? Amen!

     
  • At 7/16/2007 11:50 AM, Blogger Kat said…

    i absolutely agree. sinasabi nga parati ng mama ko (negosyante na instik po sya - hehe) na kahit nursing ang kursong natapos nya, mas alam nya magpatakbo ng negosyo. kaya diskarte rin nya yun. parang di nya na nagamit sa buhay yung kursong kinuha nya.

    ika nga, life is a continuous learning process. kahit graduate ka na sa skwela, parang bagong pasok ka pa rin lang sa "school of life."

    hay, madami yata akong nasabi. hehe :)

     
  • At 7/16/2007 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are absolutely correct thet! Gaano kaman ka talino but if di mo alam dumiskarte sa buhay..ay naku talagang sa kangkongan ka bagsak. I learned that from my experience din at sa mga taong nakasabayan ko when I was still studying. Everyday is a learning process kasi di lang sa four corners of the classroom. ayY..tama ba ako? opps..ingat ka!

     
  • At 7/16/2007 1:05 PM, Blogger Myx said…

    nasa diskarte talaga yan! :)

    I've met some individuals na super duper dami nilang honors from elementary to high school to college pero bookish lang sila at hindi sila madiskarte sa buhay. parang nagtityaga lang sila sa present job nila kahit maliit ang sahod and their excuse? for experience lang. samantalang yung mga averge students lang, sila yung mas umaasenso dahil magaling silang dumiskarte. Education is indeed very important pero dapat madiskarte ka din.. naks naman! :)

     
  • At 7/16/2007 6:46 PM, Blogger Mommy Chi said…

    i have nothing against people who have college degrees. if given the choice, i would continue my pursuit to finish college. but with two kids, i think putting hold of college was the best decision i've made so far since i get to be a mom first. :)

     
  • At 7/17/2007 12:36 AM, Blogger Mrs. C said…

    ako..sadyang madiskarte..kulang sa aral..wahaha..=)

     
  • At 7/17/2007 3:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    couldn't agree more!!

    happy tuesday!

     
  • At 7/17/2007 7:11 AM, Blogger Mec said…

    ako...aminado walang diskarte sa buhay... sus, i can't even get freebies in exhibits eh :D as in wala talagang diskarte... kaya kahit cum landi ako nung grumadweyt (at walang kahirap-hirap academically talaga), alam kong talo ako ng mga taong madiskarte... :D

    talo din ako ng masisipag...kasi nga hindi ako ganun kasipag :)

    kaya nag-asawa ako ng masipag at madiskarte :D para medyo covered naman namin lahat ng smarts sa mundo :D

     
  • At 7/17/2007 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i agree. sabi nga ni tantan, you have to be street smart to succeed. kahit nagaral sa magandang school, kung nd madiskarte, alang mararating. siguro add to that ung perseverance and having a drive to succeed.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
// Start hit counter code for BlogPatrol.com var data = '&r=' + escape(document.referrer) + '&n=' + escape(navigator.userAgent) + '&p=' + escape(navigator.userAgent) + '&g=' + escape(document.location.href); if (navigator.userAgent.substring(0,1)>'3') data = data + '&sd=' + screen.colorDepth + '&sw=' + escape(screen.width+'x'+screen.height); document.write(''); document.write(''); document.write(''); // End hit counter code for BlogPatrol.com // -->
About Me
Name: ruther
Home: Ontario, Canada
About Me: *25-something faggot *proud pinay *business degree imbecile *iskolar ng bayan *former student activist *call center quality assurance supervisor* former DELL computer technician* *prefers grave yard shift rather than day shift job *doesn't drink nor smoke *koreanovela sucker *lead guitarist *internet-holic *bossa nova aficionado *KFC extreme hot shots lover *imago's fan *sydney bristow apprentice(wish!) *gil grissom struggling student(talk about being geek!) *jack bauer's love interest(another wish!) *michael scofield's savior(get real!)* avid follower of jerry bruckheimer *soon-to-be-bride of a very wonderful groom.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Tambayan
I DISCLOSE
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

© 2006 WHEN THET SPEAKS: Unbounded.Uncensored.Unsuppressed.No Rules.No Non-Sense. .Template by Isnaini Dot Com